Monday, April 27, 2009

A Lesson in Smiling

Yesterday the junior choir sang in church. The kids range in age from about six to about 13. I love watching the children sing. Not because they make beautiful music or because they are cute, (in fact, some look painfully uncomfortable and self-conscious) but because a few of them display true pride and joy in what they are doing. These kids seem to intuitively understand that they are generously giving, channelling a gift to the congregation. I try to listen with all attentiveness in order to humbly receive their gift. I love to look for the children that are in Little J's Sunday school class and smile broadly if I can catch their eye. Since we are usually running late, we sit towards the back, and most times it is a one way exchange. But yesterday, I received the most beautiful smile and enthusiastic waive of recognition from one little girl from Little J's class. She made me feel so special I almost blushed. I made sure to thank her afterwards and I told her she made me feel special. She seemed to understand what she had given me. But more than that, she set a powerful example. It was a big risk she took: a little girl standing up there in front of dozens if not hundreds of people, waiving enthusiastically at one specific (adult) person.

If even one out of a hundred smiles I give makes someone feel the way she made me feel, then why should I ever fear giving an unanswered smile? Spread the joy, and smile!

No comments: