Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Marble Hill

I was trying to unsubscribe to Poets.org because I usually hate their featured poetry and dislike their daily emails even more, but I stumbled upon this and got sucked in. I'd love to hear thoughts on this poem...

Anyway, it got me thinking about so many things, which good writing always does for me. There were so many layers to it that I could relate to. My mother, motherhood/feminism, the eternity of time, the unknowable unkowns, etc. On the other hand, I'm not clear on what the poet was saying? Was all this just his trouble with religion, or merely a political statement? I got the feeling there was something personal going on, but the way it ended, I couldn't tell. I am thinking he was male, possibly gay, and from a Muslim culture.

I found it interesting anyway.

No comments: